On June 6, 2023, the opening of the Global Symposium for Regulators (GSR-23) took place.
Since 2000, the Global Symposium for Regulators (GSR) has been gathering heads of national telecommunications/ICT regulators from around the world. The GSR has established a reputation as a global annual event where regulators exchange views and experiences on the most pressing regulatory issues they have identified.
GSR-23 inauguration was opened by Amr Talaat Minister of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT) of Egypt, Doreen Bogdan-Martin ITU Secretary-General, Hossam El Gamal Executive President of the National Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (NTRA) and Chairman of GSR-23, Kosmas Luckyson Zavazava Director of ITU BDT.
Representatives of the Communications Administrations of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Republic of Armenia, the Republic of Belarus, as well as the management and staff of the RCC Executive Committee took part from the RCC.
GSR-23 included the following series of activities:
1. Meeting of regional associations of regulators;
2. Meeting of the Industry Development Advisory Group and Senior Regulatory Officers from the Private Sector (IAGDI-CRO);
3. Regional Round Tables on Regulatory Issues.
During the work of GSR-23, the following took place:
- Session Leadership Segment: How policy and regulatory innovation can drive inclusive and meaningful connectivity and sustainable digital transformation;
- Session 2: Reliable digital infrastructure: how to bridge the gap;
- Session 3: The Spectrum of Tomorrow;
- Session 4: How to protect children and youth online;
- Session 5: Digital Accessibility: Key to an Inclusive Society;
- Network of Women in ITU-D;
- Session 6: The remaining access gap: how to provide affordable devices to those who are not connected to the Internet;
- Session 7: Saving Lives: Emergency Early Warning Systems;
- Industry Fireside Chat: Digital Transformation Partners;
- Session 8: Sustainability through digital transformation;
- Session 9: Exploiting the possibilities of the Metaverse.
At the end of the meeting, ITU BDT Director Kosmas Luckyson Zavazava and Hossam El Gamal, Executive President of the National Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (NTRA) and Chairman of GSR-23, thanked all participants for their participation and for their high contribution to the work of GSR-23.