This year marks the 140th anniversary of the establishment of telephone communications in Azerbaijan.
A series of events to be held in connection with the 140th anniversary of the establishment of telephone communications in Azerbaijan.
As part of the anniversary, a series of events will be held throughout the year:
- It is planned to hold a competition among journalists on this topic, to award women for their special role in ICT, to prepare a postage stamp, an envelope and a commemorative badge dedicated to the 140th anniversary of communications;
- It is planned to organize free online courses in the regions to improve knowledge in the field of communications and high technologies;
- Respective mobile and fixed-line carriers will hold special discount campaigns on various services;
- It is also planned to shoot a documentary about the history of communications;
- The families of martyr communications workers, veteran communications workers will be visited in their homes, and the employees who have been worked for a long time in the field of communications will be awarded special diplomas.
It should be reminded that the first telephone line in Azerbaijan was installed in December 1880 by the Caucasus and Mercury Shipping Company. The line connected the main office of the society on Naberezhnaya Street with the office of Caspian Oil Company in Baku Port. In January 1881 ‘Nobel Brothers’ society applied to the Governor of Baku, Lieutenant General Pozen in order to obtain permission to lay a telephone line and such permission was granted on February 18.
On November 23 of the same year, the first telephone line with a length of 6 km, which connected the main office of the society with the houses of the chairman and chief engineer, was put into operation in Azerbaijan. Officially, this line in Azerbaijan is considered as the first telephone line, and the date coincides with the establishment of telephone communications.