From 26 to 27 October 2020 at the headquarters of the Universal Postal Union in Bern, Swiss Confederation, An exceptional session of the Council of Administration took place in a mixed format, using the Adobe Connect service and TV UPU, as well as in person.
The session of the Council of Administration of the Universal Postal Union was attended by the leadership of the International Bureau of the Universal Postal Union and 60 representatives of countries.
Representatives of the Communications Administrations of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the Republic of Armenia, the Republic of Belarus, the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, the Russian Federation and employees of the RCC Executive Committee took part from the Regional Commonwealth in the field of communications.
The agenda included the following issues:
- Update on the host country's preparations for the 27th Congress;
- New information on the main preparations for the 27th Congress;
- An official statement about a force majeure situation in the UPU;
- Regulation of the consequences of the postponement of the 27th UPU Congress;
- Proposal from France, Japan, Mexico, Slovenia, Thailand and the United States of America; Legal and logistical considerations related to the AC 2020-Doc 6a emergency session document;
- Regular sessions of the Governing Body in 2020 and 2021;
The key issue of the UPU AC session was the appointment of the date and place for the 27th UPU Congress.
Due to the spread of COVID-19, the 27th UPU Congress, scheduled for August 2020 in Abidjan, Cote d'Ivoire, has been postponed.
This unforeseen situation has become a serious problem for the UPU member countries, the host country and the UPU International Bureau.
As a result of the work of the emergency session of the UPU Administrative Council, a compromise was reached to hold the 27th UPU Congress from 9 to 28 August 2021 in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire.
If the situation in connection with the spread of COVID-19 does not allow this to be done in Abidjan, then the 27th UPU Congress will be held in September 2021 at the headquarters of the Universal Postal Union in Bern, Swiss Confederation.
A preliminary decision on the date and place of the 27th Congress will be determined at the spring session of the UPU Administrative Council, the final decision will be made by June 30, 2021.